It is always nice to get a shout out from a fellow blogger. I got the awesome surprise of being nominated for a blog award from MostlyHealthyLiving. This is known as a friendly way to get to know your fellow bloggers and I just love the idea and appreciate the sweet sentiment. By the way, go check out her blog. It is great and she is an awesome girl. She is also running a marathon for the Canadian Cancer Society and you know I love supporting charity runners.
As the rules go I have to:
1. Thank and link back to the blogger who nominated me.
2. Share 7 things about myself (and try not to bore you too much).
3. Nominate 15 other bloggers and comment on their blog to let them know.
1. In honor of my fellow blogger I have to share my history with Canada. As a former competitive figure skater, my coach lived in Canada and I was from Michigan. My parents were incredibly kind enough to drive me two and a half hours each way, several times a week, to train with my coach. At one point when we were looking at training centers for me to move to I almost ended up in Canada. My parents were also approached by a figure skating judge who suggested they allow a Canadian family to adopt me so that I could compete as a Canadian citizen. Skating is a crazy world!
2. I received a scholarship into the honors program of a Law School and opted to teach sports instead. I think my parents nearly killed me at first (can you blame them?!). Actually for my first 3 years of college (yes I said first 3) I was a premed/pre-dental major. I basically got through all of my prerequisite math and science courses before deciding that law school was where I would find my destiny. At what was pretty much the last moment, I changed majors to Political Science, got myself into law school and then decided that wasn’t for me either. Yikes! So I have a B.A. in Political Science and not much use for it. Sigh.
3. I am a horrible dancer. You would think that a former figure skater would know how to groove. But sadly, that is where my coordination ends. I think that all of the years of having to do choreographed moves set to the timing of the music left me too worried about what my body is doing at any moment and what the music is doing. In fact, I was a bridesmaid last year in my good friend’s wedding. When the wedding party was announced for their first dance I was shocked and a bit freaked out to hear that the music was fast and not a nice slow tune. When I started dancing with the groomsman he gave me the funniest, “You must be kidding!” look. When I walked back over to Rock he said, “That was awkward!” It was hilarious!
4. I can step outside on a cloudy day for five minutes and come back in with tan lines. This is a bit of a joke with my husband because he is half Irish and half Polish and tan he does not. But when we go on vacation the sun just finds me. I can come home from a run with the craziest tan lines.
5. I’ve never played a team sport and it shows. I spent my life as a figure skater and runner. I refer to track as a team sport and it cracks Rock up. My teamwork skills leave a lot to be desired and my Type A personality doesn’t help the situation any. I don’t like having to rely on others to get things done and prefer to always be in control. Add in the fact that I can’t catch or throw (yes I can do a triple salchow but I can’t throw a ball) and it is a pretty bad situation.
6. I grew up in a very small town with only two stop lights. I grew up in a small town in Northern Michigan and in high school I moved away to the big city of Indianapolis. I decided then that small town living wasn’t for me and swore I would never go back. I loved the city and ended up moving to NYC for college and later stayed for work. But something about the Midwest and small town living has a special place in my heart. Rock and I now have a little vacation home up there and wish we could be up there even more than we are able. I love spending time in the water, running on the rural roads and trails, and spending time in the woods where I grew up. Never say never!
7. Today is Rock’s birthday, but don’t tell him I said anything 😉 My husband is one of the kindest and most modest people there is around. He would never announce it is his birthday and we usually don’t get too festive for these days. But this is the perfect time for me to tell you just how awesome this guy is. He is my best friend, my business partner, and running buddy. We’ve done races of every distance together, including a marathon. And did you know that he is a certified running coach as well? He has always been supportive of anything I have ever done, be it a race or a new job. And I can tell you with great confidence that he is going to be an amazing father. I rarely get the chance to brag about this guy, but he really is 100% awesome. Happy birthday Rock!
Here are a few of my favorite blogs that I would like to tag for this award. Go check them out!
Have a great weekend!